Venezuela

C.V.G. Ferrominera Orinoco C.A.

C.V.G. Ferrominera Orinoco C.A. was created when the Venezuelan iron ore industry was nationalized in 1975. It was formed from the unification of the North American companies, Orinoco Mining Company and Iron Mines Company of Venezuela.

Bethlehem Steel's Iron Mines Company of Venezuela purchased from Baldwin three DRS4-4-1500 units, numbers 1, 2 & 3. All were built with dynamic brakes and had additional air reservoirs under the raised cab to operate side-dump ore cars.

Ferrominera Orinoco 2002 2002

DRS4-4-1500
c/n 73139, b/d 7/1949

- ex Iron Mines Co. of Venezuela #2
photo by: James Claflin - collection of Mark Laundry
San Felix Bolivar, Venezuela - Jan. 4, 1979

Ferrominera Orinoco 2003 2003

DRS4-4-1500
c/n 73140, b/d 3/1948

- ex Iron Mines Co. of Venezuela #3
- on display in front of the main entrance to
CVG Ferrominera Orinoco, Puerto Ordaz, Venezuela.
photo by: James Claflin - collection of Mark Laundry
San Felix Bolivar, Venezuela - Jan. 4, 1979


US Steel's Orinoco Mining Company purchased from Baldwin a total of nine AS616 units, numbed 1001 to 1009. Number 1008 (c/n 75444) was wrecked and returned to Baldwin. Is was rebuilt and given a new construction number, 75942. It was returned to Venezuela and numbered 1010.

Ferrominera Orinoco 1009 1009

AS616
c/n 75445, b/d 7/1953

photo by: James Claflin - collection of Mark Laundry
Puerto Ordaz Bolivar, Venezuela - Jan. 5, 1979


data source: [2,6] bibliography

back to - Photo Gallery World Map

back to - Table of Contents