pioneers in experimentation with Diesel-elec-
tric locomotives for railroad service.
was a 1,000-hp. machine built in the year
1925. It was the result of extensive research
and experimentation looking toward sim-
plicity and reliability, and was the largest
Diesel-electric which had been attempted in
the United States up to that time.
The prime mover was a solid-injection, two-
cycle engine of the Knudson type, of peculiar
construction and very light weight. It was
a 12-cylinder, inverted "V" engine with twin
crankshafts geared to a central shaft on which
was mounted the electric generator.
The electrical equipment was of Westing-
house manufacture with electro-pneumatic
and magnetic controlling mechanism arranged
for double-end operation.
The locomotive, bearing Baldwin con-
struction number 58,501, weighed 275,500
pounds and was carried on two six-wheeled
trucks having traction motors applied to four
of the six axles. The weight on driving
wheels was 180,000 pounds and the starting
tractive force 52,200 pounds.
Extensive tests in the yard of the Baldwin
plant and on the tracks of adjacent railroads,
added data which proved of value in the build-
ing of subsequent locomotives.
61,000, was completed in the spring of 1929.
This was a 1,000-hp. locomotive of the 0-4-4-0
wheel arrangement with two articulated
trucks. It was designed for switching service,
and for a maximum speed of 25 m.p.h. The
total weight of 270,000 pounds was available
for adhesion, as all four pairs of wheels
The truck frames were of cast-steel bar type
construction with steel crossties, similar to the
frames used in steam locomotive practice.
Couplers and draft gears were carried on the
outer end of each truck and the inner ends
were jointed together by means of buffers and
a drawbar, thus forming an articulated joint.
With this arrangement the shocks of switch-
ing were taken entirely by the truck frames
and drawbar, relieving the cab and its under-
frame of these strains.
The cab underframe was a steel casting, 44
feet in length, upon which were mounted the
steel cab and the power plant. An operators
compartment was provided at each end of the
cab, separated from the engine compartment
but having access to it by means of a door.
The necessary water and oil radiators with
their fans were mounted in the top part of
the cab structure.
The power plant of number 61,000 con-
sisted of a Krupp, four-cycle, six-cylinder,
solid-injection Diesel engine coupled to a
Westinghouse railway type generator. Four
Westinghouse electric motors, one on each
axle, transmitted power to the driving wheels.
Extensive tests were conducted with this lo-
comotive on some six major railroads, and in
heavy open-pit mining service. Trains rang-
ing from 2,000 to 4,500 tons were handled in
severe switching service.
by Baldwin for stock. Some years earlier,